The Malta International Choir Festival has become a biennial fixture in the Maltese and international musical calendar and so it is very much anticipated by all music lovers of the genre.
Suffice to say that for this year’s edition which is the 23rd, the Ministry for Tourism and the Malta Tourism Authority, the organisers of the festival will be hosting not less than 33 choirs composed of some 1070 choristers. These choirs hail from many different countries from all over the world, namely, Belgium, Bulgaria, China, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Indonesia, Israel, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Romania, Russia, Slovenia, Spain and the United Kingdom.
The Festival runs over four days and provides choirs with a varied programme, spread across Valletta, Floriana and other localities. The festival takes place in theatres, churches and outdoor venues. Twenty four of these choirs shall also be participating in one or more of the competitive categories, that is, sacred or secular.
The Festival highlights are many:
• Singing and Praying for Peace in St John’s Co-Cathedral
• Competitions (Secular and Sacred)
• Singing in the City (outdoor venues)
• Festival Concert – Gentleman Singers of the Czech Republic and the Arsis Handbell Ensemble of Estonia
• Ethnic Choral Sound Concert - 16 choirs will be presenting their country’s / regional folk singing.
• Grand Prix Concert on Sunday as the final night
• An important aspect of the festival is the pedagogical part which takes place in the form of workshops or master classes.
The Malta International Choir Festival is where voices shine!
As part of the Malta International Choir Festival 2017, the Organising Committee is pleased to announce the 2nd edition of the choral ‘Composition Competition’. The aim of this competition is to encourage composers of any age and nationality to create their own choral piece for the 23rd edition of the festival. The winning composition shall be performed in SATB and a cappella during the festival. Closing date for submission of composition is March 31. The results of the competition shall be announced on June 30, 2017.
The winner will receive a monetary prize of €1000 (one thousand Euro), a diploma and a recording of his opus.